2020 Heartworm Protection Information and Policy
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, veterinary clinics are being strongly advised to limit routine in-clinic procedures. This includes annual health exams and heartworm disease testing.
Heartworm Disease Testing is Very Important
We continue to require annual heartworm and tick-borne disease testing. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are postponing testing until after the COVID-19 restrictions have been ended. In the meantime, we will offer heartworm and tick/flea preventative medication to ensure your pet remains protected. Please carefully review the policy below. By accepting a heartworm preventative prescription, you are agreeing to this policy.
Testing Will Be Done as Soon as Possible
Many of our clients have inquired about how soon they will be able to have their pet’s heartworm test performed. We will begin heartworm disease testing as soon as the restrictions have lifted – we will call you to schedule your testing. It is still very important to get your pet tested as soon as possible as we don’t want to wait until next year to find out if they are infected, which could be dangerous to them.
We are currently able to offer our seasonal promotional pricing on heartworm/tick disease and wellness bloodwork testing. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of this great deal by pre-paying for your testing now. The prices we are able to offer now are our best of the year. These prices will not be available once testing resumes. Since we are drawing a blood sample, consider adding wellness bloodwork (also at our best pricing of the year) to your testing to check that your pet is healthy too!
Trio Reward Information
2020 COVID-19 Heartworm Protection Policy
This policy is to inform you, and advise you of your acceptance and consent to, our updated heartworm disease testing and prevention policy for 2020. This policy allows us to remain compliant with current recommendations for veterinary services during the COVID-19 pandemic, while continuing to provide the best care possible for your pet.
Use of the word “pet” in this policy may refer to one or more pets owned by the same individual (or household in the case of families who share ownership). “The Clinic” refers to Animal Care Clinic (1242 Queen St. W., Brampton, ON). “My Veterinarian” refers to the veterinarian prescribing heartworm preventative for my pet. “Heartworm preventative” may also include flea, tick and other parasite preventatives (depending on the preventive prescribed). By agreeing to receive a heartworm preventative prescription from The Clinic, you are agreeing to this policy. If you do not agree with this policy, you must not request a heartworm preventative prescription. Please contact us to discuss this further.
I, the respondent, being 18 years of age or older, am the owner or agent of the pet described and am authorized to make decisions regarding all aspects of its health care. I understand and acknowledge that:
- These are extremely unusual circumstances, and that The Clinic and My Veterinarian are instituting this policy to continue to provide heartworm disease protection for my pet
- A heartworm and tick-borne disease test and physical examination of my pet are strongly recommended and are usually required before The Clinic can prescribe heartworm preventative. This will continue to be a requirement in the future after COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted
- As a condition of receiving heartworm preventive, a heartworm and tick-borne disease test will still be required for my pet as soon as COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. I am acting against medical advice if I choose not to have this testing performed this year as recommended
- By not receiving a heartworm and tick-borne disease test and in-clinic physical exam, My Veterinarian does not have the standard minimum level of information that is normally required to give medical recommendations, including prescribing and dispensing heartworm preventative
- An annual health appointment is required within the last year (last 365 days) to maintain our veterinary-patient-client-relationship (VPCR) as stipulated by our governing body, unless My Veterinarian deems a valid VPCR currently exists. This appointment may be performed virtually (via telemedicine)
- Due to the inability to perform heartworm and tick-borne disease testing, The Clinic is only recommending certain heartworm preventatives. I will follow the recommendations of The Clinic in this regard
- The Clinic has taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that they are proceeding the safest manner they know, however there can be no guarantee as to my pet’s condition or reaction to, or the outcome of, the use of heartworm preventatives. Whereas uncommon, my pet may suffer serious adverse reactions after receiving routine heartworm preventative
- My questions have been answered, I have read or had explained to me and fully understand the information in this policy, and declare that I understand and voluntarily consent to the policy as described
- My consent to the information in this policy is obtained by my requesting a prescription for heartworm prevenative from The Clinic. I agree that this is a reasonable substitute to a standard signature for consent, and it is agreed that this constitutes full legal consent
(No signature nor confirmation necessary – consent attained and acknowledged via my request for a prescription for, and subsequent usage of, my heartworm preventative)
v1.0 April 20, 2020